Got COVID? 5 Evidence-Based Foods For RecoveryFeb 02, 2022
Got the “cough”? You’re not powerless! Here are 5 immune-boosting evidence-based foods that can help speed up your recovery - most of which are probably already sitting in your kitchen.
- Increase vegetable intake. This study found that COVID severity decreased by a whopping 73% in participants who ate 40% more vegetables and other plant-based foods, while diets high in protein and low in carbs (yes - low in carbs - surprising, I know!) was linked with moderate to severe COVID. If you contract COVID, increase your vegetable and plant-food intake (up the vegetable and fruit juices!). This can be used as a preventative measure also.
- Nigella Seeds. There are a bunch of antiviral, immune-modulating foods that can also help prevent and improve recovery of COVID. Nigella seeds have been used in ancient times to treat illnesses, including asthma, hypertension, diabetes, inflammation, cough, bronchitis, headache, eczema, fever, dizziness, and influenza. This study found that nigella seeds boost the humoral immune system and induce the expression of cytokines, which lead to early viral clearance. Nigella seeds can be purchased at some health food stores or online (sometimes under the name of black cumin), and can be added to salads, smoothies, yogurt, wholefood treats, or whatever tickles your fancy! We’re lucky enough to have nigella flowers growing like crazy in our garden.
- Cinnamon. Cinnamon has also been shown to be antiviral and immune-modulating - the best part: it’s usually a staple in all cupboards. At least it is in ours! I LOVE putting cinnamon in and on everything. My littlest even sprinkles it over her scrambled eggs - cuteness factor! Cinnamon has been shown to fight against many viruses, including HIV, Dengue fever, and is showing antiviral mechanisms against RNA viruses like coronavirus. Add heaped tsp’s (even tbsp’s!) on everything - smoothies, curries, eggs, mashed veggies, soups, hot drinks.
- Mushrooms. Your antiviral fungi friend! According to this study, approximately 700 species of medicinal mushrooms with pharmacological properties have been documented. Mushrooms contain compounds that can directly inhibit viral enzymes, viral nucleic acid synthesis, and adsorption and uptake of viruses into cells. Some of the most potent antiviral mushrooms to look out for are cauliflower mushrooms and Reishi, Ling Zhi mushrooms. These mushrooms can be difficult to find in shops, but they can be easily purchased as a superfood - usually in the form of powders or tablets. Be careful of mushrooms if you have an active case of SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth).
- Yogurt. Most people know that yogurt is a healthy fermented food, containing live good bacteria. Some studies have shown that yogurt increases cytokine production, antibody production, phagocytic activity and T cell function, and natural killer (NK) cell activity, which ultimately boosts up the immune system. Another study has linked improved gut microflora as having a significant role in preventing COVID. Consuming yogurt can be part of your gut-enhancing foods to prevent against COVID. When purchasing yogurt, make sure you get one that doesn’t have added sugars and nasties. Plain yogurt is best, or one that is slightly sweetened with vanilla or fruit juice. Be careful of yogurt if you have histamine intolerance. If you’re allergic to dairy or dairy intolerant, or if you’re avoiding dairy as part of your healing diet protocol, sub for coconut yogurt.
A Note On Vaccines
I’ve been talking about the above foods in relation to preventing COVID and fighting it off. However, as these foods promote a healthy immune response, these foods could also be useful prepping for vaccines, as well as recovering from vaccine side-effects or injuries, which often occur due to an overactive immune response to spike proteins.
Need Extra Acute COVID Infection Support?
I’ve created a course with natural and holistic therapeutic protocols to speed up COVID recovery and prevent long-haul COVID, which unfortunately is showing up, even after mild cases of COVID. You can register for the course here.
Need Personalised Immune Support, or Body Systems Work To Resolve Chronic Issues?
I am a big believer in healing body systems that have burned out or become imbalanced as the BEST method for creating a robust and resilient immune system. If you’re struggling with low immunity, autoimmunity, energy, mood, or gut issues, these are strong signs that your immune system is not quite up to scratch. On the other hand, if you’ve already had COVID and are struggling with long-haul problems, or struggling to overcome chronic side effects from vaccines, please please reach out. It is highly likely your body systems such as the mitochondria, brain, and/or detox pathways have become compromised. You might be feeling a bit helpless now, but know that all of these things can be reversed when we identify where the imbalances lie and treat the root causes.
To start your journey, book in for a “Connect The Dots” Initial Consult HERE.
Filipa Bellette is Co-Founder of Chris & Filly Functional Medicine. She is an accredited Clinical Nutritionist & Functional Medicine Practitioner. She is also a Ph.D. thought-leader, award-winning writer, and regularly published as a guest blogger & in the media. Together with her husband Chris Bellette, Filipa has worked with over 2,000+ busy, burnout clients in the last 10+ years, and specialises in producing healthy, balanced, and happy Mums & Dads...or as she calls it, a Power Parent! Filipa’s own passion for producing high-performance Power Parents came from her own personal experience of Mummy Burnout, after having babies and juggling the demands of business, family, and her failing health.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.