Warrigal Greens & Sweet Potato PikeletsFeb 15, 2023
Ok, these little savoury pikelet bites were a hit with the whole fam! We have native warrigal greens over-taking the garden, so we try to use it up in all our meals. However, you can sub the warrigal greens for baby spinach, silverbeet or kale.
- 200 ml Rice Milk
- 50g Gluten-free flour
- 50g chickpea flour
- 100g sweet potato, grated
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil, for frying
- 150 fresh baby spinach, shredded
- 20g currants
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 25g pine nuts
- salt and pepper (optional)
- To make the filling, place the spinach in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add a splash of water and cook for about 2-3 minutes until wilted. Turn out onto a plate, then blot firmly with kitchen paper to squeeze out as much water as possible. Set aside.
- To make the pikelets, whisk together the rice milk, gluten-free flour, and chickpea flour in a large bowl. Stir in the sweet potato and onion, and mix thorougly.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a high heat and pour a quarter of the pikelet mixture into the pan, using the back of a spoon to spread the mixture out to the edges of the pan. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side, turning carefully, until brown and crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper and keep warm. Make three more pikelets.
- Return the spinach to the saucepan with the currants, olive oil and pine nuts and place over a medium heat. Season with salt and pepper, if using, and cook for a minute or until heated through. Take a quarter of the spinach mixture and place on one half of a pikelet. Fold over the other half. Repeat with the remaining pikelets.
Approved for: Adrenal Diet, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan
Filipa Bellette is Co-Founder of Chris & Filly Functional Medicine. She is an accredited Clinical Nutritionist & Functional Medicine Practitioner. She is also a Ph.D. thought-leader, award-winning writer, and regularly published as a guest blogger & in the media. Together with her husband Chris Bellette, Filipa has worked with over 2,000+ busy, burnout clients in the last 10+ years, and specialises in producing healthy, balanced, and happy Mums & Dads...or as she calls it, a Power Parent! Filipa’s own passion for producing high-performance Power Parents came from her own personal experience of Mummy Burnout, after having babies and juggling the demands of business, family, and her failing health.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.