Eggless Pumpkin PieJul 20, 2023
Pumpkin Pie would have to be one of my ultimate childhood favourites. My Mum made a cracker pumpkin pie (in the microwave - haha). I did a spin on the traditional pumpkin pie using wholefood ingrediets, that is also dairy-free and egg-free. The result was just as good as my Mama's!
For the Pie Crust:
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 Tablespoon xylitol
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 4 Tablespoons Ice Water
For the Filling:
- 425g cooked & mashed pumpkin
- ¾ cup coconut cream
- ¾ cup rapadura sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Prepare the crust: Add flour, xylitol and salt to the food processor and pulse to combine.
- Add the coconut oil (must be solid, not melted) and pulse until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add ice water and pulse it to combine. It should look like a dough now and if you break off a piece and roll it in your hands it should easily roll into a ball.
- Remove the dough from the food processor, transfer to a floured surface and roll the dough into a big round ball.
- Using a rolling pin roll out the dough from side to side into a large circle that is wider than your 9-inch pie dish.
- Spray your pie dish with non-stick spray and then roll up the crust in your rolling pin (or just pick it up carefully) and carefully unroll it over the top of your pie dish. Carefully tuck the crust in along the edges of your pie dish.
- Take a scissors and trim off any excess dough but make sure that there is a little overhang over the edges of the dish. Place your pie crust into the fridge while you prepare your pie filling.
- Prepare your filling: Add pumpkin, coconut cream, rapadura sugar, maple syrup, arrowroot, spices, vanilla extract and salt to your blender and blend until smooth. If you don't have a blender, then just add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and use a hand whisk to whisk it until smooth.
- Pour this out over your pie crust and smooth down with the back of a spoon.
- Place into the oven to bake for 60 minutes at 180°C.
- When you remove the pie from the oven, it will still be quite wobbly in the center, this is completely fine, it will firm up when cooling. Your pie may also be quite dark in color when first removed from the oven, it lightens up a lot when cool.
- Allow to cool on the counter and then place into the refrigerator to set completely, around 4 hours at least or overnight if possible until completely chilled and set.
Approved for: Adrenal Diet, Low-Hydrogen Sulphide Diet, Gluten-Free, Vegan
Filipa Bellette is Co-Founder of Chris & Filly Functional Medicine. She is an accredited Clinical Nutritionist & Functional Medicine Practitioner. She is also a Ph.D. thought-leader, award-winning writer, and regularly published as a guest blogger & in the media. Together with her husband Chris Bellette, Filipa has worked with over 2,000+ busy, burnout clients in the last 10+ years, and specialises in producing healthy, balanced, and happy Mums & Dads…or as she calls it, a Power Parent! Filipa’s own passion for producing high-performance Power Parents came from her own personal experience of Mummy Burnout, after having babies and juggling the demands of business, family, and her failing health.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.