Creamy Pasta Sauce (DF)Aug 06, 2020
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, diced
- 8 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch each sea salt and black pepper
- 3-4 Tbsp arrowroot powder
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1-3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp basil, diced
- In a large frypan over medium-low heat, add olive oil, garlic and shallots. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper and stir frequently, cooking for 3-4 minutes until softened and fragrant.
- Stir in the arrowroot and mix with a whisk. Once combined, slowly whisk in the almond milk a little at a time so clumps don’t form. Add another healthy pinch of salt and black pepper, bring to a simmer and continue cooking for another 4-5 minutes to thicken. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt to taste, minced garlic for zing, or a little nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavour. Add the basil here too.
- If you want an ultra creamy sauce, transfer sauce to a blender and blend the sauce until creamy and smooth. Place back in pan and reduce heat to a low simmer until desired thickness is reached.
This recipe is approved for our following Healing Diets:
- Adrenal Healing Nutrition Plan
- Gluten-Free / Celiac & Non-Celiac Gluten-Sensitivity
To comply with our other Healing Diets, sub these ingredients:
- Low-Histamine Diet - sub almond milk for coconut milk or macadamia milk
- Low Oxalate Diet - sub almond milk for coconut milk; most pastas are high in oxalates, you could go pasta-free, or use rice or rice noodles.
- Low Salicylate Diet - sub almond milk for cashew milk or rice milk; sub olive oil for butter or ghee (if tolerated); remove basil
Author: Filipa Bellette, Clinical Nutritionist & Functional Medicine Practitioner
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.