Chocolate Cake with Avocado IcingMay 06, 2021
So due to popular demand, here's how I made my birthday cake! This deliciously rich vegan chocolate cake is topped with smooth icing that has an unusual secret ingredient.
Prep: 25min, plus cooling and chilling
Cook: 30-35 mins
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, for oiling
- 250g / 9oz gluten-free flour
- 50g / 1¾ oz cocoa powder
- 250g / 9oz rapadura sugar
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1tsp baking powder
- 75g / 2¾ oz coconut oil
- 250ml / 8½ oz almond milk
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1tsp vegan apple cider vinegar
- 2 ripe avocados
- 40g/1 ½ oz vegan cocoa powder
- 1 ½ xylitol (blended down to fine powder)
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
- Oil a 20-cm / 8-inch round cake tin and line with baking paper.
- Sift the flour and cocoa into a mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder.
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave or in a small saucepan.
- Transfer to a heatproof jug and stir in the almond milk, vanilla extract and vinegar.
- Pour the liquid ingredients onto the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl, beat together thoroughly and spoon into the prepared tin.
- Smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10minutes then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- To make the icing, peel, and stone the avocados.
- Mash the flesh and pass through a sieve.
- Transfer to a small mixing bowl, add the remaining ingredients, and beat together thoroughly.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes, then spread evenly over the top of the cake.
This recipe is approved for our following Healing Diets:
- Adrenal Healing Nutrition Plan (post-2-week blood sugar reset, or sub the feta for a nut-based feta)
- Gluten-Free / Celiac & Non-Celiac Gluten-Sensitivity
Author: Filipa Bellette, Clinical Nutritionist & Functional Medicine Practitioner
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.