Castor Oil PackOct 23, 2020
The castor bean (Oleum ricini), also known as Palma Christi, due to its shape and healing properties, is known principally as a cathartic (strong laxative). A gentler use is in the form of a pack placed over the abdomen, usually with heat applied. The oil is absorbed into the lymphatic circulation to provide a soothing, cleansing, and nutritive treatment.
The castor oil pack has many applications and is specific in cases of uterine fibroids and ovarian cysts that are non-malignant. Other conditions which respond well include headaches, liver disorders, constipation, intestinal disorders, gallbladder inflammation or stones, conditions with poor elimination, nighttime urinary frequency and inflamed joints. It is to be used with caution during pregnancy, bleeding or during menstruation as it may create additional bleeding.
- Organic castor oil
- 36” x 18” white cotton or wool flannel
- Heating pad or hot water bottle
- 1 large or 2 smaller old towels (or plastic wrap)
- Baking soda
- First, wash the new flannel in warm water and dry. Fold flannel to fit over your liver or entire abdomen.
- Soak flannel with the castor oil (up to 1⁄2 cup). Fold flannel in half and strip excess oil from pack. Unfold. The first few times you use it, it will seem there is too much oil present. However, be patient and usually after several applications, the flannel will have just the right amount of castor oil.
- Lay an old towel out on the surface you will be lying on. This will prevent STAINING. Castor oil stains and will not come out of clothes or fabric.
- Lie on your back, with your feet elevated (a pillow under your knees and feet works well), and place the flannel over your abdomen. Cover the flannel with an old towel, and place a heating pad or hot water bottle on top of the towel.
- Leave pack on for 45-60 minutes. This is an excellent time to now practice visualisation, mediation or relaxation breathing. (This involves placing 1 hand on your diaphragm and the other on your lower abdomen. As you breathe in, force your lower abdomen to swell like a balloon. With each breath out, practice relaxing your jaw and shoulders. As you practice more, relax all muscles in your body.) Alternatively to these you may just sleep. Some people will wear the pack all night using a bandage to hold it in place.
- After finishing you can remove the oil with a solution of 2 tablespoons of baking soda to 1-litre water or hair conditioner often works well. You may also choose to leave the oil on the skin to be totally absorbed over time.
- Store the pack in a large zip-lock bag. Reuse the pack many times, adding more oil as needed to keep the pack saturated. Replace the pack after it begins to change colour (usually several months).
- For maximum effectiveness, it is necessary to apply the pack as often as possible. Try for at least 4 consecutive days per week for at least 4-6 weeks. Patients who use the pack daily will receive the most beneficial effects. Castor oil needs to be reapplied every 3-4 treatment times.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.