Cabbage, Potato & Chickpea Pan Bake with Cashew GravyApr 26, 2023
This is a super quick and simple plant-based pan bake, bursting with some delicious flavours - especially the Cashew Gravy! I didn’t get the “prettiest” photo of this dish - but I promise it tastes good ;)
- 1 small head cabbage (1kg)
- 500g potatoes
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
Tarragon Cream Gravy
- 1 cup cashews
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp gluten-free flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- Preheat the oven to 180 ºC.
- Cut your cabbage into 1/2" thick slices, then cut into wedges and remove the core. Cut your potatoes into half or quarters if using fingerling, or cubed to about 1/2 to 3/4-inch pieces if red skinned or yukon gold. No need to peel. Arrange cabbage, potatoes, and chickpeas on a half sheet pan.
- In a bowl or liquid measuring cup whisk together all of the mustard vinaigrette ingredients. Pour over the sheet pan and toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer on the sheet pan. Bake for 35-50 minutes, stirring after 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and the cabbage is tender and starting to crisp around the edges.
- Make the gravy: if not using a high powered blender, boil the cashews in water for 10-15 minutes to soften. Drain before using. If using a powerful blender skip this step. Blend the cashews and vegetable broth together until creamy and smooth.
- In a pot heat the vegan butter or olive oil over medium low and add the flour. Cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently, until the flour is a bit toasty smelling and a shade darker (if using a starch or gluten free blend it may not change color). Slowly pour in the cashew cream while whisking to make a smooth gravy.
- Turn the heat up to medium and bring to a simmer. Add the salt, pepper, tarragon, and thyme. Simmer until the gravy has thickened. Cover and set aside.
- Serve the sheet pan dinner hot from the oven over your choice of grain or bread. Drizzle over the gravy and garnish with fresh herbs. Enjoy!
Recipe credit to The Curios Chickpea.
Approved for: Adrenal Diet, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan
Filipa Bellette is Co-Founder of Chris & Filly Functional Medicine. She is an accredited Clinical Nutritionist & Functional Medicine Practitioner. She is also a Ph.D. thought-leader, award-winning writer, and regularly published as a guest blogger & in the media. Together with her husband Chris Bellette, Filipa has worked with over 2,000+ busy, burnout clients in the last 10+ years, and specialises in producing healthy, balanced, and happy Mums & Dads…or as she calls it, a Power Parent! Filipa’s own passion for producing high-performance Power Parents came from her own personal experience of Mummy Burnout, after having babies and juggling the demands of business, family, and her failing health.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.