Tasty Tuesday – Buckwheat BrownieJul 19, 2022
Despite its name, buckwheat is not a grain, but a seed related to rhubarb. It has a yummo nutty flavour, as well as a myriad of health benefits: it’s gluten-free and high in amino acids, fiber and essential minerals manganese, magnesium, zinc and copper. The fiber is soluble, which helps to reduce blood cholesterol levels and promote bowel health. Buckwheat is also rich in anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant polyphenols especially rutin, which helps to reduce blood pressure. It contains the amino acid tryptophan which helps to make serotonin – the FEEL GOOD hormone responsible for feelings of wellbeing and awesomeness!
- 150g butter
- 200g rapadura sugar
- 90g cocao (this makes for a very rich brownie – use less if you want a less intense flavour)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch of Himalayan rock salt
- 2 eggs
- 80g buckwheat flour
- 80g raw buckwheat groats
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius and line a slice pan with parchment paper.
- Place the butter, rapadura sugar, cocao, vanilla and salt in a saucepan sitting inside a skillet filled with simmering water over low heat (just hot enough to keep the water simmering) and stir until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth and feels hot to the touch.
- Remove the saucepan from the skillet and once the mixture is only warm to the touch add the eggs, beating vigorously until the mixture is thick and shiny.
- Add the flour and stir until blended with the other ingredients, then beat the mixture vigorously using a wooden spoon. Stir in the buckwheat groats then pour the batter into the lined tin and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the brownies are just about set with a shiny and smooth top and a gooey centre. Wait for the brownies to come to room temperature before carefully removing them from the tin and cutting them into squares.
This recipe is approved for our following Healing Diets:
- Adrenal Diet
- Low-Salicylate Diet
Author: Filipa Bellette, Clinical Nutritionist & Functional Medicine Practitioner
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.